The main output of the 6th EMB Forum is a Forum Message. This statement highlights the needs for marine science at the core of the ocean governance debate, and also presents 8 specific commitments that the EMB is making to underpin those needs and support future development. You can download the message here. You can also find a News Release here. A news article announcing the event can be found here, the news article about the event here, and the article on the release of the Forum Message here.
The Forum proceedings are available here.
The 6th EMB Forum, on "Implementing the UN 2030 Agenda: What role for marine science?" promoted and fostered a greater role of the marine science community in supporting the ongoing work at international level to advance the UN 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
We invited diverse stakeholders from science, industry, policy & governance, economics, law, academia and NGO’s to join us at the 6th Forum to:
- Gain an overview of the UN 2030 process and the SDGs, as well as the outcomes of the UN’s Ocean Conference and side events (New York, 5 - 9 June 2017) and other relevant progress, outlining some of the key implementation mechanisms;
- Discuss the role of marine science in policy advice, as seen from different perspectives;
- Discuss the institutional framework for international ocean governance and explore means of improving the current modus operandi;
- Identify challenges and needs, and opportunities and incentives for a greater engagement of the scientific community in the international ocean governance processes.
The 6th EMB Forum took place on Wednesday 6 December 2017
Over 150 people from 21 countries and a wide range of stakeholder backgrounds registered to attend the event. Registration for all EMB Forum events is free, subject to availability of places.
The 6th EMB Forum took place at the Royal Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts, Hertogsstraat / Rue Ducale 1, 1000 Brussels.
The nearest metro station is Trône.
Speakers and Panellists
You can read all about the speakers and panellists participating in the event here.
The presentations are now available for download below:
- Keynote Address "Sharing Our Earth With Special Reference to Marine Ecospace", Joyeeta Gupta
- Session One "The Global Ocean Science Report", Luis Valdes
- Session Two "Ocean science needs for implementing the SDGs #OceanOptimism", Martin Visbeck
- Session Two "Ocean science needs for implementing the SDGs –The Legal Perspective", Seline Trevisanut
- Session Three "COST Action: Ocean Governance for Sustainability Challenges, Options and the Role of Science", Maria Hadjimichael
European Marine Board Secretariat contact: Paula Kellett Email